Sunday, May 25, 2008

Frozen Tart Cherries Recipe: Cherry Muffins from Mandi M!

Frozen Tart Cherries Recipe: Cherry Muffins from Mandi

Thanks for this one, Mandi--sounds delicious! And a cherry muffin might just be something my kids will eat!

"Using the yummy cherries I bought from you, I made this recipe. Of course, organic eggs from Les, organic brown sugar, organic oats, organic butter, organic milk... you know the drill! This made about 15 muffins - strange # I know, but they were good! So, here it is if you want to pass it on (or use yourself!). I literally scooped the frozen cherries right from the bag and into the recipe! Have a good one! - Mandi

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup buttermilk; low fat is fine
1 1/2 cups cherries

Mix dry ingredients & sugar - set aside. Melt butter, whisk in eggs and vanilla. Mix w/ dry ingredients and milk. Bake 375 for 20-24 minutes. Makes about 15 muffins."

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Do you think you could use the dry cherries instead of the frozen? We just bought a couple quarts of the dry and if they last long enough to make it to a baking project (be still my heart - they are delicious right out of the bag!!!), these muffins would be a great way to use some up!! They sound great Mandi!

EcoBurban said...

I am guessing that you could easily substitute dried. I might increase the milk amount by just a smidge... The frozen cherries were very juicy, so the muffins stayed very moist. Though, some people prefer a crumbly muffin. My kids prefer moist, so if they eat it that way, I am happy to oblidge! - Mandi

Jules and Kids said...

If I was daring to change a baking recipe (I'm an adventurous, and thereby awful, baker!), I'd soak the dried in a yummy liquid for a while to better mimic using the frozen. Like, perhaps buttermilk?

Unknown said...

We just finished having them with our Sunday meal. One word...fabulous!!

I did soak the cherries in the buttermilk while I measured the dry ingredients, melted the butter, etc., then mixed everything up using only the liquid the recipe called for. They were just fine and the baking makes the cherries nice and moist.

Great recipe - all of em ate it - well, except for Mr. Picky Pants 9 year old but that's ok He had extra veggies instead.

Thanks for sharing!