Monday, May 26, 2008

Sources for grass-fed meat, as published by the Free Press

Thanks to Catherine P. for sending me this link to a Free Press article about sources for grass-fed meat. Some of these are new to me, some tried and true. I encourage you to do your own research. Some research questions to begin with would be:

1. Is your pasture certified organic, and if not, please tell me your grass management methods?
2. How often are they pastured?
3. What feed do you supplement with? Bear in mind that the only animals designed to eat grain, in many experts' opinions, are birds. Cows are not meant to eat grain (corn is a grain)! Although it can be very hard to obtain organic feed through the winter, and very expensive, so sometimes we have to be more forgiving. If corn is not organic, it is probably genetically modified (GM). Also watch out for GM soy. Winter feed should be dried, not fermented, as lysteria is a threat with fermented "silage".
4. Do you grow your own supplemental feed? A self-sustaining farm is a farm that will not be privy to rapidly changing (increasing!) global commodity prices.
5. Please tell me about your butcher. How is the meat packaged (paper or plastic, if it matters to you)? Are they USDA-inspected? If not, please tell me about why you've chosen them (sometimes the best butchers are not inspected...it doesn't mean that they have something to hide, it just might not be feasible for them).
6. Is your meat aged? Where can I get a sample to try?
7. What time of year should I order, and when and how do I get delivery/pick-up? (usually, you'll pick-up from the butcher).
8. What options do I have for butchered cuts? (Usually there's a sheet you can fill out to specify how you'd like your cuts done and packaged...thickness, quantity per package, etc)

These questions are just a start--off the top of my head. I'm sure I'm missing something important! :)

I highly recommend the book "Holy Cows and Hog Heaven" by Joel Salatin--a quick, important read that will help you go "local meat" in many ways, and give you a better perspective of the farmer's point of view. Not sure you want to go local for your meats? Then you must read Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan.


I encourage you to buy in bulk, directly from the farmer...better for them (usually--some don't like the aspect of marketing their products, and would rather do without), and cheaper for you. Shooting myself in the foot? Nope, I just don't see it that way. All work to guide us to a more sensible, sustainable local food economy is going to benefit us all!


Julie

1 comment:

EcoBurban said...

I also suggest reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barabara Kingsolver as a crucial must-read for those in pursuit of a locavore lifestyle. The way she writes is so enthralling and lyrical, if this is your first foray into green reading, it's easy to get hooked! Low on preachiness, high on digestible facts and statistics! Great recipes too!