Sunday, August 3, 2008

Product Review - Steel Cut Oats!

I ordered the Westwind steel cut oats from LVL a long, long time ago. Like two months ago. They have been sitting in my pantry, not because I don't like them, I LOVE oatmeal, but because it takes 40 minute to cook them!

For my One Local Summer meal last week I decided to try to beat the system, making a double batch and storing it in the fridge in a resealable container. The last few mornings I have been scooping a single serving into a cereal bowl, microwaving them topped with a homemade blueberry sauce using berries my boys picked from a local U-Pick. Fast, delicious and healthy!

My double batch recipe is two cups of oats to 8 cups of water brought to a boil and simmered for 35-40 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes or so. This makes thicker oats, we prefer them that way, but if you like thinner oats use 9 cups of water. Cool for 10-15 minutes stirring a few times. Transfer to a resealable container and store in the refrigerator to enjoy this healthy breakfast all week long - and it will only take a few second to prepare!

You can read the whole post about eating a healthy breakfast and doing it locally here.

No comments: