Monday, July 7, 2008

Movie Review: WALL*E

Okay, so, what the heck is a movie review doing in a blog about local and sustainable food?
Plenty.

My oldest and I went to see WALL*E the other day. He loved it for the story and the characters. I enjoyed it for those reasons as well as others. Generally speaking, I am in agreement with Professor Tolkien in that I cordially dislike allegory in all its manifestations, and always have done since I grew old and wary enough to detect its presence.” WALL*E is chock full of allegory, and if I were a different person, I'd probably hate the movie for being too preachy. But since I'm me, I enjoyed it, and since you folks are here, you will probably take a certain amount of comfort, as I did, in the fact that other people understand the importance of sustainable living, and those people have a big audience.

WALL*E lives on a desolate, toxic future Earth that has been abandoned by humanity some centuries ago. He is, as far as we know, the only functioning robot on the planet. His only companions are a cockroach and a collection of relics he has painstakingly assembled. One day, he finds a plant. He's never seen one before. He puts it in his collection.

Later, Earth is visited by another robot, whose mission is to find proof that Earth is habitable again. WALL*E follows the new robot back to her mother ship, which turns out to be the home of what's left of the human race.

These people are the product of a processed-food diet taken to the extreme. They don't move much, all their food comes in a cup, they never see dirt, they communicate entirely electronically. They don't seem to have touched one another in a long time. And that's the way it's always been for them.

When WALL*E and his friend show up with their plant, though, things change for the better.

What are these preachy messages that I was talking about?
  • Blind obedience is bad.
  • Big box stores are not to be trusted.
  • Dirt isn't something to be afraid of.
  • Go play outside once in a while.
  • Food comes from farms.
  • If we don't start living sustainably, we're going to wreck the planet.
There are probably others in there that I either missed or else have forgotten. If you like being in the choir and feel the need for a little affirmation, you should go see WALL*E. If you like an entertaining story with many sympathetic characters, ditto. If you have kids, bring them. They might not notice the allegory, and if they do get the message, well, it's a message you want to send anyway, right?


No comments: