Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Let's have a chat...!

From what I can discern, there are a LOT of LVL members. Shoot, I even met one at my son's friends birthday parties! I know you're out there, I can see you lurking, reading the blog and I know you are green! So, let's talk. I have linked all the terms about composting in the following paragraph for those (like me!) that would like to learn more.

I am on the fence about composting, worm bins and the like. I am afraid to build a compost heap outside for fear I will become the Old Country Buffet for the raccoons, squirrels, rabbits, ground hogs and possums I see roaming my neighborhood. The vermicomposting (worm bin) also makes me nervous because I have 4 boys, two dogs, 1 cat and a husband to keep alive. How would I also add 87 worms to the list? And, I would feel terrible if they died. I have also looked into contraptions like Nature's Mill where is nice and convenient under the counter with a neat little pull out drawer for the composted soil. I am just a little apprehensive about the possible smell. I just do not want my kitchen to smell like rotting food. And, it's not an inexpensive item to invest in, just to find out you don't like it!

So, what do you all do? Compost heap? If so, how did you build it, how do you maintain it and do you have a critter control problem? Worm Bin? Can you actually keep them alive and do they really have to stay in your house over the winter? Let's start a discussion. Add your comments to the post and I bet we can all learn something here. I feel guilty as sin every time I throw out a cabbage leaf or avocado pit. There must be something I could be doing just a little better!

3 comments:

thecraichead said...

We have a compost heap in a corner of our lot out of the way. It doesn't get raided by anything other than squirrels, and they only go after pumpkin seeds and such.
The trick is not to put anything other than plants in there.
Meat, bones, etc: no.
Kitchen scraps: no.
Anything with dairy or oil: no.

Just plants: grass clippings, leaves, fruit and vegetable peelings, carrot greens, that kind of thing. Keep a compost container on your kitchen countertop, put the onion beards in it while you're chopping up the veggies, and empty it daily or every other day, or whenever.

Only veggies = no scavengers.

EcoBurban said...

I am not too worried about squirrels, it's more of the racoon, possum, skunk variety that worry me! :o)

I could do the plant composting, but what to do with the kitchen scraps, meat, dairy etc.? Also, can you put coffee grounds in your compost? Tea bags? Those are things that make me crazy to throw out!!

lrimerman said...

We have a plastic large compost container. It has a slide up door at the bottom to remove the dirt. We do plant materials only but also egg shells. It has a lid, so no critters. I am not sure how well it works as we started it last year, but hubby put stuff in there without approval and it wasn't stuff that would break down, so he had to clean it out and start over this year. We will see how well it works.