Friday, June 27, 2008

Dinner that even the kids wolfed down!!

A few nights ago we planned to grill some steaks. Well it was pouring out at dinner time, so instead we pan-seared some Filet Mignon steaks with a sprinkle of Penzey's Chicago Steak Seasoning. We paired it with some sauteed greens, carrots and onions and garlic scapes (veges from either our CSA or the farm market) to which we added some garlic, ginger, tamari and salt and pepper. We also made some of the Mannomin (wild Rice) from LVL, I cooked it with a bit of broth, salt, pepper and water. It was delicious just plain!!! The kids LOVED the rice. It was the tastiest wild rice I have ever had. It will become a staple in our house!!

We had homemade chocolate custards for dessert. Great Meal!!

Last night in an attempt to use up greens (we get more today from our CSA) we made a delicious vegetable, chicken, egg drop soup! Used homemade chicken stock as a base and boy was it good.

Lisa

2 comments:

EcoBurban said...

Thanks, Lisa. Based on your kid-friendly comment, I plan to order some this week. It's hard to find things that kids eat with enthusiasm!!

lrimerman said...

Yes, we all loved it (well my youngest won't try anything new generally, he likes rice but was in one of those nothing new moods). It is so easy to cook and doesn't take too long, so my kind of healthy side dish!! I need to order more too.

That is one of the things I love about having local beef and chickens we buy in bulk, I can pull out whatever we want from the freezer and plan a meal. I am loving the local vegetable scene. I gorge on them as do the kids cause come winter the variety and yumm factor really dwindle.