Sunday, June 15, 2008

One Local Michigan Summer - Week 2

Here we are, the second week of our challenge. A few storms, a couple power outages - nothing can keep us down! Here are the submissions:

Lisa made Father's Day a local affair with waffles, berries, syrup and a frittata - Oh my! I am guessing my husband wishes he was at her house! Read all about it (and see it too!) here. And, Lisa also made a yummy salad for lunch last week, which you can read and see here.
___________

The eco 'burban mom (that's me!) made an egg salad sandwich on a pita with a local beer on the side - yes, you read that right - beer. From Atwater Brewery in Detroit folks, totally local and part of the challenge! You can read all about it and sneak a peek at my beer here.
____________

Julie, our fearless LVL leader, rocked this challenge more than once this week and even sent in journal style food entries. Now, stop making us all look bad Jules! And, send us a picture so we can drool along with you!! ;o)

Thursday, June 12th - Manoomin Wild Rice (this is ok as a local ingredient, right? Let me know if not), served with olive oil (Organic, Fair Trade Holy Land Olive Oil!) and sprinkled with Redmond Sea Salt (from ancient sea beds in Utah).I was planning to have a smoothie with frozen blueberries I put up last summer from BlueRidge Organic Blueberry Farm in Capac, local raw milk from my cow share, raw egg from East River Organic in Snover, and frozen organic tart cherries from North Star Organic in Traverse City--but I got lazy, and had a cup of Leelanau Licorice tea (licorice root and peppermint from Light of Day Organics in Traverse City, which is also certified biodynamic) sweetened with honey from John Simmons' organic grain farm in North Branch. I usually use Whitfield Apiaries' honey, but John gave this honey to me as a gift, and I go back and forth between the two. :)

Friday, June 13 2008: Lunch Again, I won't be impressing anyone with my creativity here--I'm often looking for something quick and easy. Today's lunch was kefir I made from my raw cow's milk in St Johns...a very strong kefir, I might add...mixed with blueberries from Blueridge Organic Blueberry farm in Capac that I froze last summer and honey from Whitfield Apiaries in Brandon Twp. Not quite hitting the spot, I sliced up a Geronimo tomato from Zenner's hydroponic tomatoes up north...I'm not an advocate of hydroponics, as I feel food needs to grow in the ground, and the solution used to mix into the water is another layer of commercial production making what should be simple, complicated, but it was given to me as a sample. Why waste it? So, I chopped up the tomato and poured olive oil on it and sea salt and pepper. I wanted to drizzle some vinegar on it, too, but wasn't sure of its origin! STILL not quite satisfied, I eyed the organic white popcorn that Farmer Brown grew in the thumb, and John Simmons helped to separate and hull, popping it on the stove with olive oil and sea salting it. I topped it off with another cup of tea...the Relaxation Blend from Light of Day Organics in Traverse City, made from chamomile, spearmint, and raspberry leaf.

Saturday, June 14th - Rib Steak from East River Organic (Snover, approx 70 miles) pan-fried in lard from my pig, Our Farm and Dairy (St John's, approx 100 miles) seasoned with Redmond Sea Salt (Utah) and pepper (unknown origin)Sliced Geronimo tomato from Zenner Farms/Hydroponics (Kingsley, MI) drizzled with Holy Land Olive Oil (Palestine to CA to MI) seasoned with Redmond Sea Salt and pepperHomemade kefir Raw Milk from Our Farm and Dairy Frozen tart cherries from North Star Organics (Frankfort, MI) Maple Cream from Food for Thought (Honor, MI)
___________

We're still looking for more challenge participants! Join in, leave a comment here at this post, or to read about the challenge and rules, click the icon that says "One Local Michigan Summer" with the tomatoes in the right hand column and add your name there. We will sign you up and I will recap your meal every Sunday night, right here on the blog. Now, go get cooking! ~ Mandi

1 comment:

lrimerman said...

Mandi,

That egg salad looks wonderful. I may have to make that soon. I once in a while make pita (the kids love to watch it puff up in the oven!! But they are usually small and sometimes don't make such a good pocket when you cut them open.

Thanks for the challenge, although we eat a lot of local, it really is forcing me to take a harder look at it. Still having issues with doing all local ingredients, but I am trying to be creative and figure out ways.