Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day


We are having my family over today for a Father's Day "Brunch" which is more like breakfast but at 11 am. I am making my "famous" waffles (which is a recipe from Deborah Madison, that I changed to make more healthy). They are made with all local flours and grains (from Westwind Mill), local eggs and homemade kefir. They also contain salt, baking powder and soda and vanilla extract and coconut oil. I also made a tart cherry sauce and a blueberry sauce. Both have some sugar in them, but the fruit is all local (blueberries are from our freezer from last summer and come from Blueridge farm in Capac, cherries are from Northstar Organic). I also plan to serve real maple syrup from Arnold's Sugar Bush (which is near North Branch) and whipped cream made with Calder's cream (from LVL). I am also making two different frittatas. The fritattas are based on a formula/recipe by Mollie Katzen from her book Sunlight Cafe (they are mostly a formula and directions with many variations, you can really put anything and substitute as needed).

The first Fritatta is made with local eggs, asparagus (local), garlic (local--I got it from Cinzori's Organic Farm at the Royal Oak Farmer's Market yesterday), parsley and dill from our CSA, and the spiced gouda cheese from Grassfield's. It also contains non--local onions (can't source local ones yet this year) and salt and pepper.

The second frittata is made with red potatoe slices (from White Pine Farms in North Branch), swiss chard and garlic (from Cinzori's), kale from our CSA and then these non-local ingredients --red onion, salt, pepper and goat cheese.

We plan to also have some great fresh strawberries I got from Maple Creek Farm in Yale, MI at the farmer's market!!

We are going to my In-laws for dinner, so we are taking a local chicken (cut up) and my homemade BBQ sauce along with a salad made with lettuce and greens from our CSA and local radishes and carrots (farmer's market find yesterday) we will also put local grassfield's cheese and some dried cherries on the salad.


Hope everyone has a yummy and wonderful Father's Day!

Lisa

P.S. I thought it funny when my 6 year old son was watching us cook and commenting on how it smelled good, etc. and we got around to "yucky food" in the conversation and he said that at school he didn't eat the apple. I said "Apples are good for you", and he said "Well I didn't eat it because it was sprayed with poisons". I guess I can't argue with that logic!!
I edited the post after our meal to include the picture.

No comments: